If you own an RV, then you know that the need for upkeep is an ongoing chore. Any time an RV has any sort of damage, it can become a big headache if you don’t take care of it right away. And while you could just drop it off at the dealership and let them take care of it, that often means that your RV will be unavailable for weeks – and who has time for that? There are many DIY things you can do to make your RV tough and durable – and liquid EPDM is one of them.
What is Liquid EPDM?
Liquid EPDM is a synthetic rubber material that comes in a liquid form like paint. It is applied onto the roof of an RV, and once it cures, it creates a durable coating that lasts for up to ten years. It is easy to apply and can be done in a weekend if you get good weather for the curing process. But why would you want to?
The Benefits of Liquid EPDM for Your RV
The key benefit of liquid EPDM for your RV is that you never have to worry about your roof for the next decade. Some of the characteristics of EPDM include:
- Virtually weather-proof: This material resists damage from hail or water, and also reflects UV rays away so it prevents fading and weakening over time.
- Energy efficient: By reflecting away UV rays, this material makes your RV more energy efficient. You’ll have an easier time staying cool when you’re camping out.
- Puncture-resistant: If your RV roof is rubber, you don’t have to worry about tree limbs poking a hole in your roof. This material creates a puncture-resistant layer that makes your rubber roof extremely durable.
- Insulating: Simply because you’ve added another layer to the roof of your RV, you’ve got another layer of insulation. But EPDM is actually a very insulating material that helps keep the “good air” inside where it belongs.
- Flame-retardant: Liquid EPDM is flame retardant, so you don’t have to worry about spreading fire should any campfires get out of control nearby.
And once again, don’t forget about the durability! One coat of liquid EPDM on your RV roof will create a durable barrier for about ten years, and you can easily patch it with more EPDM if damage causes the layer to become cracked.
Easy Application for Any Weekend Warrior
Applying liquid EPDM to your RV roof is easy. You simply clean the roof, roll the liquid on like a paint, and let it cure. This material can be applied to any type of RV roof, including metal, rubber, or polymer, and generally only takes a couple of days to cure. All you need is a paint roller and a couple of days of dry, sunny weather. You can also have professionals apply this material to your RV if you prefer not to DIY. This is a great way to turn your RV into a more durable accessory for the road.