Roof Repair with Butyl Liquid Rubber
To Repair Rips & Tears on Sheet Rubber
- Make a round or oval cut around damage and remove piece.
- Use removed piece as a pattern to cut a replacement patch from new rubber.
- Re-glue any loose edges where damaged piece was removed using contact cement.
- Use scissors to trim approx 1/16 from edge of new patch from 2.
- Glue trimmed new patch into cut-out using contact cement. A gap will remain between patch and existing rubber.
- Clean new patch plus 4 inches around it by wiping area with paint thinner, xylene or lacquer thinner.
- Fill gap with Rubex caulk. Apply a raised bead to allow for shrinkage. Let caulk cure overnight.
- Brush apply one coat of Butyl Liquid rubber over patch and 2 inches beyond. Repair may be reinforced with polyester fabric if desired.
The above procedure results in a low profile. Seamless repair with identical weathering properties of original roof.
|Time needed||1-2 hours depending on size of damage|
|Butyl Liquid Rubber||Dry time to 2-3 hours|